Elliott Management Corporation
Last Updated: 12/3/2020
Elliott Management Corporation is a Corporation that started in 1977 and is primarily owned and controlled by Paul Singer.
Per its brochure, Elliott employs a global, multi-strategy, hedged trading approach for the Funds that encompasses a broad range of strategies, including, without limitation, equity-oriented positions, private equity and private credit positions, distressed securities, non-distressed debt, hedge/arbitrage positions (including event arbitrage, related securities arbitrage, convertible arbitrage, volatility arbitrage and fixed income arbitrage), real estate-related securities positions, commodities trading, currency trading, basis trading and portfolio volatility protection positions. Elliott generally trades or invests in a wide variety of financial instruments, including, without limitation, stocks, bonds, swaps, options, futures, forwards, swaptions, private equity, and structured credit products, including mortgage-backed securities, asset-backed securities, collateralized debt obligations, and correlation products. Elliott’s trading mandates are extremely broad, and encompass virtually every type of asset, investment interest, security or property (real or personal) which can be traded or purchased.
Most notably, Elliot often takes longer term activist stakes in companies, often in technology, replacing senior executives and selling assets before an exit plan that often involved a sale to private equity. Companies like Novell, Compuware, Alco, Cabela's, BMC, Informatica, and Citrix are some of the names that Elliot had previously targeted.
Elliott Management Corporation operates out of an office in New York, NY. Based on the Form ADV filed on 2020-06-16 00:00:00, the investment firm is comprised of 475 employees, only 188 of whom performs investment advisory functions.
- Name: Elliott Management Corporation
- CRD No: 156601
- Filing Recorded: 2020-06-16 00:00:00
- Year of Origin: 1977
- Employees: 475
- Clients: 14
- AUM: 73,511,332,303
- Management Fee: 1.5 Percent
- Performance Fee: 20 Percent
- Client Type: Pooled Investment Vehicles
- Assets Traded: Unspecified
- Website: https://www.elliottmgmt.com/
- Email: Unknown
- Telephone: 212-974-6000
- Address: 40 West 57th Street, New York NY 10019
According to the brochure submitted to IAPD, Elliot Managements investment strategy is as follows:
The firm employs a multi-strategy trading approach that encompasses a broad range of strategies, including, without limitation: distressed securities, equity-oriented, hedge/arbitrage, commodities trading, other debt, portfolio volatility protection, private equity and private credit, and real-estate-related securities.
Methods of Analysis
In addition, Elliot Managements methods of analysis include:
The Funds pursue a program of trading in public and private securities having the following characteristics:
- Diversification of strategies
- An attempt to deploy capital to the extent feasible in strategies that are designed either to offset the risks of other strategies or to contain patterns of results which are not expected to correlate with other strategies undertaken by the Funds or with the financial markets
- A significant component of strategies involving hedging
- Diversification of positions
- An attempt to profit through frequent trading in short-term price movements
- A controlled degree of financial leverage to the extent that the Funds believe that such leverage fits within their overall goals
- An attempt to substitute effort or complexity in exchange for risk
- The identification and pursuit of situations in which value can be created by an activist approach or other debt or equity investments that involve or result in control positions in companies; and
- Situations and strategies which have an unusually high skewness of return.
Top 10 Holdings from Form 13F
Reporting Period: 09/30/2020
Historical 13F Filings
EdgeGiant has compiled all 13F filings since Q2 2013 for your convenience. You can view historical portfolio position forElliott Management Corporationin our 13F section HERE.
To get the comprehensive list of holdings that fall under 13F regulatory guidelines, check out our write up on how to access and use 13Fs in your personal investment decisions.